Rev. Frederick Halsey began his service in October
The Second Presbyterian Church in Beekmantown was organized in
A fire on the night of
August 2, after a wedding, destroyed the first building (on the present site). Worship was then held in the Academy (present library). The second and present building was dedicated on 1, 1867 July 8, , built of blue limestone in the Gothic style. It cost $56,000 and was without debt when dedicated. A bell, town clock and fire alarm were added at various times. 1873
Remodeling and redecoration have taken place in
1909, 1928, 1946, 1962 and 1987. Telephone service was installed in 1902. Electricity was installed in 1909, along with a new Estey organ. The first printed bulletin also appeared. A new tracker organ was installed during the summer of 1975.
October the educational wing was completed and dedicated. On 13, 1967 November 2, the 1958 Prospect Avenue manse (the 4th) was occupied. It was later sold. On November the church was put on the National and State Historic Registers. In 12, 1982 1988 Korean Presbyterians, using our building, became an organized church.
Over 200 plus years the church has been served by twenty three pastors. The present is the Rev. Kathleen Crighton, the first installed woman pastor.
The Session, the Diaconate, Sunday School, Presbyterian Women, Men’s Prayer Breakfast, Junior and Senior High Fellowships and three choirs are among the current organizations.